Upload documents to the document library

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Hi,

How I can use this awesome library to upload documents to a sharepoint document library?

Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Can you explain a bit more about your business requirements? As awesome as the library is (and thanks for that), there's not a simple answer.

It may be that a little customization of the normal Upload.aspx/EditForm.aspx process would be a better answer.  Using the library to help, of course.

M.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

My requirement is to create custom upload page to use with one of my document library. I tried to customize <doclib>/Forms/Upload.aspx but that particular file is never used by SharePoint, It just redirects to 12/templates/layouts/upload.aspx.  I cannot customize this since it affects other libraries too. Also, I don't have access to 12 hive in my production site. At this point I am restricted to just a Backup/Restore. Now these are the reasons that are forcing me to look for a custom upload page.

-Arun

Coordinator
Mar 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Arun:

I'm still not clear on what you want the custom upload page to actually *do*. What is the business requirement you are trying to address?

M.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:01 AM

Hi Mark,

I am sorry for making you confusing.

Here is my requirement. I want to make a single page where the user can browse for a file and also enter document properties. Once he submits, file should be uploaded along with its meta properties. Just like combining Upload.aspx and EditForm.aspx into a single page.

I hope this is clear now.

Thanks again,

-Arun

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Arum:

Thanks for the extra info. I think that the separation of the two parts of the process actually makes sense. I haven't ever tried merging them, but I suppose if you pick apart what's actually going on in Upload.aspx you could try to do this.  There aren't any Web Services calls you can make to add a document from an external source, though the Copy WS lets you copy documents from one place in SharePoint to another.

M.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:30 AM

Hi Mark,

Yes. You are right. But a client requirement forced me to think in this direction (The client is more familiar with gmail/hotmail webmails and want his page just like that.) Now I think I have to talk to them on this.

Thank you once again for your assistance,

-Arun