SPCascadingDropdowns

May 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM
Hi Marc. A couple of questions. 1) for relationship list it's ""extremely"" important I canreference a list in other site colllections through the relationshipList variable such as https://server/collection1 (2) Is it possible to use this jquery technique to create feature/site columns? I'm currently using the Cascading Dropdowns from DataCogs but need multipick capabilities as well as the use of a non-custom field so editing can be performed in datasheet views. BTW, I recently had a long conversation with you regarding the add new function. Again, Great Work!! Thanks
Coordinator
May 5, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Carl:

1. If you specify the WebURL, you can use relationshipLists in other Site Collections. The permissions must be appropriate, of course.
  2. SPCascadeDropdowns does not work in Datasheet view.  This is a client-side script solution, not a deployable feature or custom field type.  There are advantages to this, but also to the Datacogs approach, of course.

M.

May 5, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Sorry, I wasn’t clear about the dataview. I just wanted to know if they would appear in dataview as a simple text field. Using custom fields such as Datacog doesn’t allow the filed to show in datasheet mode. That’s really a pain.

They do appear as a text field as I had hoped and when testing with a test account on another machine I receive a Application Error. The instruction at “0x……..blah blah blah”. IE is fun at times isn’t it? Perhaps it’’s the size of my lists. The cities list is a good 30,000

Carl

Sent: May 5, 2010 10:58 AM
To: Williams,Carl [Ontario]
Subject: Re: SPCascadingDropdowns [SPServices:211656]

Carl:

1. If you specify the WebURL, you can use relationshipLists in other Site Collections. The permissions must be appropriate, of course.

2. SPCascadeDropdowns does not work in Datasheet view. This is a client-side script solution, not a deployable feature or custom field type. There are advantages to this, but also to the Datacogs approach, of course.

M.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SPServices@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SPServices@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
May 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Carl:

You've sort of lost me, but SPCascadeDropdowns doesn't do anything to the underlying columns. If you read through the documentation, you'll see that the values need to be drawn from a list as a Lookup column, but otherwise the columns function just like any other Lookup column would. So you'll see them in Datasheet view just like you'd expect, but the cascading won't be present there.  Is this what you meant?

M.

May 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Pretty much yes.:)

Sent: May 5, 2010 11:13 AM
To: Williams,Carl [Ontario]
Subject: Re: SPCascadingDropdowns [SPServices:211656]

Carl:

You've sort of lost me, but SPCascadeDropdowns doesn't do anything to the underlying columns. If you read through the documentation, you'll see that the values need to be drawn from a list as a Lookup column, but otherwise the columns function just like any other Lookup column would. So you'll see them in Datasheet view just like you'd expect, but the cascading won't be present there. Is this what you meant?

M.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SPServices@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SPServices@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
May 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Good!