SPCascadeDropdowns Problems

May 11, 2010 at 4:00 PM
Edited May 11, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Hello this script works very well with default form fields, but I have 2 problems:

1ª I need to work with DVDropDownList, and this object not have Property "title" and java needs this property to identify parentcolumn and childcolumn. I tried to put this property "title" in the code and now the cascade is working very well but it not saves the value in the List.

2º My second problem is that in my dvdropdown list my datatextfield and datavaluefield is different, the datavalue field is the where the filter should be working but it filters by data textfield. Example:

List Category - Columns Cod, Description

List Products - Columns Code Product, Code Category, Description

But the combolist show the Descriptions and the Filter is by the codes...

The best regards,,

May 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM

SPCascadeDropdowns was built to work with the standard SharePoint controls for dropdown lists.  It works by finding those controls in the DOM and binding new events to them.  It you use other controls, it's unlikely that the function will work correctly, if at all.

Is there a specific reason you feel you need to use a DVDropDownList instead of the default controls?

Also, please see this similar thread: http://spservices.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=211968

May 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM

The DVDropDownList is a sharepoint control that can have the value of Datatextfield diferent than DatavalueField, I need to show the description but it writes in the list the code, thats why i need DVDDropDownList, and to do validations...

The best regards,

May 11, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Well, you're trying to mix client-side and server-side development in a way which isn't working.  I guess you have the choice of using the default SharePoint controls and doing the validation client-side or using the DVDropDownList and building your own cascading dropdowns,.

May 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM
Edited May 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM

What i did was deleted the form field "Cod" and do in Sharepoint Designer Insert- Sharepoint Controls - More Sharepoint COntrols - DataView DropDownList and inserted after the validation - ASP. NET Controls - Validation - RegularExpressionValidator......

Do you know another way to show in the combo the "Description" and write in the List "the Code" that works with spcascade??

May 12, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Since you're already trying to use jQuery for the cascading dropdowns, just use jQuery/JavaScript for the validation as well (instead of using the DVDropDownList).  Given that it's a dropdown, what kind of validation are you trying to do? If you're using a Lookup column (as needed for SPCasecadeDropdowns anyway) then you can reference back to the original item.  I'm still not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the DVDropDownList.

May 12, 2010 at 1:12 PM

The validation occurs in backupground because some items cannot be selected with items in others columns.

But What i Need is that the dropdown shows "Description" to the users but saves "Code" of product.......

For example:

You have a combobox Category, that shows to user the description of category but saves in the list the code of category.

And you have another combobox that shows the Description of product but saves the code of product! The cascadeDrop downs must filter by code of category that exists in the 2 lists...

Do you see what I need....? 

The first half i can do with the DVDropDownList that is the only Sharepoint Control you can create for combobox. because this droplist have the attribute "DataTextField" that shows to user and "DataValueField" that saves in the list.... but now the cascade dropdown not work...

the best regards,