This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Cascading Dropdowns - Lag on second drop down.

May 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I have a form with three fields that support an Incident ticket submission. 

1. Category - Drop Down - eg. Service Request

2. Summary - Drop Down - eg. AT&T Teleconference

3. Notes - Relevant Questions for User; Multiline Text Box. - eg. How many participants? length of call? Date of Call? etc.

The code looks like...

            relationshipList: "RC_Summary",
            relationshipListParentColumn: "SumCat",
            relationshipListChildColumn: "Title",
            parentColumn: "Category",
            childColumn: "Summary",
             debug: true


// NOTE: I have modified this below for my purposes to populate a Notes field based on the second drop-down.

 columnName: "Summary",
 relatedList: "RC_Notes",
 relatedListColumn: "Title",
 relatedColumns: ["Body"],
 displayFormat: "notes",
 childColumn: "Notes",
 debug: true

The code execution works. When I select a Category, the second drop-down IS populated with the appropriate children. However, when I make a selection
on that second drop-down, there is a noticable delay before the drop-down is released. I was assuming that the lag was caused by the query pulling
back the relevant "notes" from the Notes list.

When I delete the DisplayRelatedInfo code from my form; I still see the Laggy behavior on the second drop-down. I have updated to the latest release of
SPServices. I have also specified the columns to Index on the relevant lists.

I'm not sure where to look for the debugging issue or what's happening behind the curtains at this point.


May 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Additional information:

Category List has 15 items.

Summary List has 32 items.


May 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Based on this thread:

Double-clicking or clicking furiously does seem to move this along faster. However, no child has more than 4 items in the second drop-down.

May 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM

I think what you are seeing is SharePoint's "complex" dropdown behavior.  I just wrote a blog post that should help you to understand what is going on.  If you take all of the jQuery out of the page, I think you'll see the same behavior.  Keep in mind that I'm not changing the type of dropdown that SharePoint creates on the page; I'm just changing the values that are available in it.