Inquiry about cascading dropdown

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:09 AM
Edited Jun 25, 2010 at 3:15 AM

Im a great fan of your work... and Im so impressed to the work CascadingDropDown. I want to implement the same functionality with my project, but i will be needing a few of your thoughts.

I edit the page using SPD and I noticed that unlike an ordinary NewForm.aspx, the controls has an ID and name. example: ctl00$m$g_cbc502d5_cc77_4d08_a9bd_b0dd31dd7ab6$ctl00$ctl04$ctl01$ctl00$ctl00$ctl04$ctl00$DropDownChoice

i want to know, is there a standard way to name the controls?
did you create the entire page from scratch?

i noticed that when the button Ok was clicked, it will save the record. normally, i do that using visual studio by creating a webpart.

Thank you.

From your fan,

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:14 AM

The id and name that you describe would be what you see if you do a View Source on the page in the browser. You should also see that the controls have a title which is set to the DisplayName of the column.  That title is what SPCascadeDropdowns uses to find the controls on the page.

You can implement SPCascadeDropdowns without customizing the page except to add the script.  I'd suggest that you read through the documentation at the bottom of this page to see how to do the basic setup:
and then the SPCascadeDropdowns page for the specifics on that function.

Post back if you have more questions.