Abstracting out queryXML function for search

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM
Hey Marc, There are numerous use cases I can see for SPServices within the context of connecting SharePoint Enterprise Search to external web applications that potentially aren't built on SharePoint. I must confess to not having actually used SPServices yet, but looking at the API I have one question: - Is there the oppotunity to abstract the Search API a little further such that there's the opportunity to create what is effectively a a query builder or at least abstract some of the properties a little further? At present all of the properties are combined within the queryXML packet which is sent within one 'chunk'. It'd be good if we could somehow break this down a little bit such that consumers had to know a little less about the well-defined XML required. Does this make sense? Great work btw. Shaun
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Shaun:

C'mon. You haven't used SPServices yet? All the cool kids do!

The first "layer" of functionality that SPServices provides is simply a "wrapping" of the out-of-the-box SharePoint Web Services. In some cases, I've added a little more capability (let's call this layer 1.5) into that layer (see UpdateListItems), but mostly it's just a straight wrapper that makes the Web Services easier to use. The second layer is what I call the "value-added functions".  These are functions which generally use the Web Services in different combinations along with additional code to provide cool new functionality, e.g., SPCascadeDropdowns.

So it sounds like you might be interested in building an new value-added function for SPServices that augments the way we can work with Search.  Right?  Or are you thinking more along the lines of a layer 1.5 enhancment to the basic Search Web Service calls?

M.e

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM
"So it sounds like you might be interested in building an new value-added function for SPServices that augments the way we can work with Search. Right? " Was that a really poor attempt at Jedi mind tricks Marc? :) Let me have a look through the API when I have some time and we'll put a plan together :) Shaun
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM

There is no try...