CascadingDropdowns: Not Saving 20+ dropdown in IE

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I have a cascading dropdown in an edit form. The parent is "Group" and the child is "Member." Member has 20+ items. Here is an example of my problem: I want to edit a form that has a Group and Member selected. I want to change the Group and make the Member unselected (neither field is required). In firefox, I have no issues. The Group is saved to the list, and the null value is saved to Member.  In IE, it appears as though the Member is blank and will be saved as null, however the blank value is not saved to the list, and the previous Member remains.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2010 at 6:43 PM
This ought to work regardless which browser. Can you post your script? M.
Sep 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM

<script type="text/javascript">
    $(document).ready(function() {
    $().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns({
            relationshipList: "Safety_Staff",
            relationshipListParentColumn: "Safety_Area",
            relationshipListChildColumn: "Title",
            parentColumn: "Group_Assigned",
            childColumn: "Member_Assigned"
        });               
    });
</script>

Everything works fine except for this one scenario.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I think the issue is with the relationshipListParentColumn. The StaticName will be encoded. Go to List Settings and look at the settings for the column. You should be able to see the encoded StaticName on the URL. My guess is that it'll be Safety_005f_Area.

M.

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:01 PM

The Static name is Safety%5FArea. So I should use "Safety_Area", correct?

One thing I just noticed is that the form will save the null value in IE if I click on the dropdown arrow on the child, and not select anything or if I select "(None)." I'm not sure if that helps you. I can't help but think it has something to do with the 20+ items funky drop-down menu.   

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2010 at 3:28 AM

Did you figure this out? It may be an issue of not having the Safety Area set as required. Let me know if you think it's an issue with SPServices and if so, let's work together so that I can reproduce and fix it.

M.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I have not figured it out. I set the Safety_Area as required, but it did not fix the problem. I may be wrong, but I think it's an issue with SPServices. I will gladly work with you to figure this out, so please let me know what I should do.

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2010 at 3:25 AM

It would be great if you could send me the site saved as a template with content. marc [dot] anderson @ sympraxisconsulting [dot] com. Then I could see exactly what you are seeing. If that's not possible for whatever reason, we'll have to figure it out piecemeal.

M.

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately, the site is used for internal government use only. So, I cannot send it to you. If it is a problem with SPServices and not me, then it should be pretty simple to reproduce the problem. You would just need a new and edit form with a cascading dropdown with the child having 20+ items. On the new form, select a value in the parent and child and save. Then in the edit form, change the parent which should automatically leave the child blank (do not click on the child at all). The null value should be saved to the child, but it is not, and the previous child remains. Keep in mind, this should be performed in IE. Thanks again for your help.  

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I think you are actually fighting a battle against how IE renders the child dropdown. This is something I have seen in the past and I think that what I did was to create a blank entry in the dropdown and automatically select it based on what you need to do. This is why selecting none as you did will work. I think that when you post back the page, IE does not think that the child value was ever changed so it will keep the previous value. That is what I have experienced anyway.