how to create new list views and add columns

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I've seen different methods for modifying the default list view, but I would like to be able to create a new view and specify which columns are in that view.
it would be a big hep if somebody could shed some light on this one. 

Thanks!

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Are you trying to do this programmatically? Also, is this related to your other thread?
http://spservices.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=230038&ANCHOR

M.

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:18 AM

yes, its related.  yes I would like to do it programmatially.  I figured if it could be done on the default list view, you should be able to do it on other views.

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2010 at 1:11 AM

I'll stick with my answer from the other thread. Rather than generating a new page every time, build one page which displays data dynamically.

M.

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I cannot currently use SP Designer.  Need to figure it out the other way if possible.

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2010 at 11:41 AM
I'm a little lost. If you can't use SharePoint Designer, are you writing managed code (Visual Studio)? If so, you dont need SPServices. You can create new views right in the UI (drop down the View Selector and create a new view) and choose the columns, sort order, filters, grouping, etc. M.
Oct 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Yes it stinks for me currently. No VS, no SP Designer. All I am able to work with right now is the web services in CEWPs.

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Wow! I thought I had it bad! No VS or SPD! That really does stink. I at least get to use VS! I really wish I could understand what you are trying to do. As Marc states, you can create views from the UI so there is no need to do it programmatically.

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:18 PM

:-)

I'm just trying to automate as much as possible.  Even though it sucks right now and I don't have access to anything, I do expect to get access to those tools sometime soon.  On the bright side, not being able to use those tools is really helping me get familiar with what is possible just using jquery and OOB functionality.