How does everyone edit JS files

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I'm tyring to work with this library and also learn jQuery at the same time.  It seams like I constantly have to upload my javascript and then refresh my page, and then I make changes to my javascript and have to upload the file again the the site and refresh the page etc.  I wish I could just keep the javascript file open while I am working on it and have it update the sharepoint site when I save changes.  How does everyone esle do it?  It seems to me like I'm wasting a lot of time here...

Also - is it possible to use this library outside of SharePoint?  Is there a way to develop this outside of a sharepoint site but point the library to a sharepoint site?

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Good old SharePoint Designer for me. SharePoint Designer isn't the best JavaScript editor out there, but it's the only one which is fully SharePoint-aware. Any reason you aren't using it?

The library only makes sense in Sharepoint because it is designed to work with the DOM which SharePoint renders. Trying it any other place wouldn't make any real sense.

M.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:27 PM
Well, normally I don't use Designer but I fired it up after I posted my question.

I discovered my answer but thanks for the reassurance. As you stated, Designer isn't the best javascript editor but at least it's something and as you said - SharePoint-aware.

Thanks
Dave

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:33 PM, sympmarc <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Good old SharePoint Designer for me. SharePoint Designer isn't the best JavaScript editor out there, but it's the only one which is fully SharePoint-aware. Any reason you aren't using it?

The library only makes sense in Sharepoint because it is designed to work with the DOM which SharePoint renders. Trying it any other place wouldn't make any real sense.

M.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SPServices@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SPServices@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:36 AM

You're privileged when you have read-write access to a file share under /12|14/TEMPLATE/LAYOUTS/... where you can keep the js file and if you reference it like /_layouts/myjs/my.js you can edit it with a ShrePoint-unaware editor of your choice. There's also a good option for quick edits and quick on/off switching called muhimbi Infuser.

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:19 AM

This might be too little too late but I have the same issue with having to repeatedly upload my scripts.  I have been using the explorer view on the document library that holds my script to open the script with notepad+, allowing me to save directly to the document library every time I make a change.