Query Status Returns parsererror for some users

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I have one user that doesn't get any results from the following code. xData.responseXML.xml is blank. I Status returns "parsererror". The user gets results when they use the search engine. Is there any way to get more meaningful error messages?

$().SPServices({ 
 operation: "Query", 
    queryXml: queryText, 
    completefunc: function(xData, Status) { 
   //DEBUG STUFF
  //
   $("#test").html("").append(Status);
      var out = $().SPServices.SPDebugXMLHttpResult({
   node: xData.responseXML
   });
   $("#sfmOutput").html("").append("<b>Search for Module output:</b><br />" + out);
 //END DEBUG
Thanks

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Maurer:

Unfortunately, the error messages from the Web Services (when there are any) tend to be less informative than we would hope. Since I can't see what your queryText looks like, I can't make any suggestions. If you'd like to post more details, I'd be happy to try to spot anything I can.

M.

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Mauer,

I got the "parseerror" status message as well, but it was when I was trying to add a new list item using the UpdateListItems operation. The xData.responseXML was basically empty.

It turned out that one of my values had an ampersand (&) in it sometimes. This caused an error with the web service, so I had to XML encode the value.

I used Javascript code from this page  to do so: http://dracoblue.net/dev/encodedecode-special-xml-characters-in-javascript/155/

Not sure if this is your problem, but there might be a XML special character in your query text that is problematic.

Best,

Ken