SP.CascadeDropDowns across sites and default values

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Hi,

I'm setting up a HelpDesk application but I want the customer to login and create the New Work Request in WSS 3.0.

First the HelpDesk application requires lookup to a list on another site within the same site collection. I know I can use SP.CascadeDropDowns for this but how do I work with the WSS list to create the lookup when the table to be looked up is on another site?

Secondly, I want to be able to set the name of the client in the NewForm.aspx for the New Work Request based on the customer that logs in. This will be used to filter the options that the logged in user can view so that not every user who logs in can see the names of the other customers or even their equipment, etc.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM

You won't be able to do the lookups across site, which is a SharePoint limitation. My suggestions would be to create Site Columns for the information and store the values in lists in the root of the Site Collection.

You can set values on the NewForm using script as well. It sounds like you should probably store the customer/client information in another list and look it up with your script. Note that this will not be truly secure, but it will obfuscate the values.

M.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The customer/client information is a great idea and I will definitely use that. About the cross site lookups, I came across a post on this same discussion where the user says he's done it. http://spservices.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=217409. Is this possible? Will using a dummy list and setting the relationshipWebURL work?

Thanks again.

Latte.

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Well, I think where that person ended up was with a manual sync process. If that's acceptable to you, then you can do it that way.

M.