Download / Upload Multiple Documents

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Does anyone have a good example of downloading / uploading multiple documents at one time using (I assume using GetListItems / UpdateListItems)?  I have been able to successfully check out / in using SPServices on multiple files, but I am having a difficult time coming up with a way to move the group of files up and down within a single operation for each.

Essentially, I have a requirement that has to allow a group of files to be checked out at the same time and downloaded locally, allow the user to perform local edits, and then upload the group of files together with check in.  Any recommendations or guidance is appreciated.

SPServices is just awesome....This library has allowed me to extend the functionality of SP in so many ways.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:16 AM

I've never gotten file upload to work, but I haven't really tried. I think @spevilgenius may have, if you'd like to ping him om Twitter.

Glad that SPServices has been helpful to you!

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM

It seems like this should just be something you could do easily, but there is no easy mechanism for this to happen. With that said, I have been trying to find a way to do something similar to this. There are a few caveats to my ideas though. I was successful

in creating an xml 'file' to copy to a doc library, but I have not tried to upload an existing file yet. The thought of downloading in itself is a challenge as well. My thoughts on this are as follows:

1. There is no "download" function you can access client side that I am aware of, but we might be able to use the file webservice to "checkout" the files to the common "Sharepoint Drafts" folder.
  2. If step one is successful [something I have not tried but thought might be possible], we might be able to reverse the action to "checkin" the documents by possibly "stealing" the upload multiple documents page.
  3. "Checkin" comments must not be required unless you plan on creating a different form altogether which I doubt was part of the plan.
  4. Every user must have their drafts folder set to the same place based on step 1.

I will do a bit more research on this and post my results back here as soon as I can.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Just a quick update on something I did not mention before. I know that in IE if you are allowed to use the "FileSystemObject" ActiveX control, then a lot of the uploading issues will be easier. Some orgs do not allow a write with that control, but an open operation might be possible. Combine this with a loop and base 64 encoding and you might be able to upload docs without much effort. This would require step 3 mentioned above to be true.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Your first post is almost the same thoughts I had on this issue.  I do not have to capture metadata or version control with the files, so all I need to do is literally allow the user to download the documents, make the changes locally, and then upload (as a group) back to the document library.  I had also reviewed Marc's blog entry ( as an option for "stealing" the upload page.  This seemed like a very viable option.  For the downloads, I have the option/luxury of standardizing where the user receives the files (and the Sharepoint Drafts folder is where it will most likely be).

Your ideat on the FileSystemObject is interesting as well.  This may be an issue in terms of writing as you mentioned, but also worth exploring.  

I will probably start with the File WebService to start just to see if I can get the downloading part of it to work and stabilized....then move to the upload.  

I will post back any results.