Cascade dropdown configuration

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Hello, 

I'm trying to configure the cascade dropdown but it is failing to identify the relationship. This are my fields:

Category Content type - List folder="Lists/Categories" - List Name="Categories"

<Field ID="{0FDF3194-56FD-42B0-8951-D9515189A03D}"         Type="Text"         Name="FldCategoryDescription"         DisplayName="Description"        />

Sub Category Content type - List Folder="Lists/SubCategories" - List Name="Sub Categories"

<Field ID="{AEC762A9-8AC9-4B5D-9DA8-9387ED973888}"         Type="Lookup"         Name="FldSubCategoryCategory"         DisplayName="Category"         List="Lists/Categories"         ShowField="FldCategoryDescription"/>
   <Field ID="{9BA4110F-B170-4D25-99C5-A6B655234254}"         Type="Text"         Name="FldSubCategoryDescription"         DisplayName="Description"         />

Request Content type - List Folder="Lists/Request" - List Name="Request"

<Field ID="{B04D280A-8FF9-4BFC-9DE4-34B7A2560A4E}"         Type="Lookup"         Name="FldRqstCategory"         DisplayName="Category"         List="Lists/Categories"         ShowField="FldCategoryDescription" />

<Field ID="{54078AA6-6172-46B1-AEBA-8F7267392DB1}"         Type="Lookup"         Name="FldRqstSubCategory"         DisplayName="Sub Category"         List="Lists/SubCategories"         ShowField="FldSubCategoryDescription" />

Script:

$(document).ready(function() {

$().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns({

relationshipList: "SubCategories",

relationshipListParentColumn: "FldCategoryDescription",

relationshipListChildColumn: "FldSubCategoryCategory",

parentColumn: "Category",

childColumn: "Sub Category",

debug: true

});

});

All the lists are in the same site.

Thank you in advance,

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I think you have the relationshipListParentColumn and relationshipListChildColumn columns reversed. Try switching them and see if that works.

M.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Thank you for the answer, but I tried to switch them and it didn't work unfortunately. Do you have any other suggestion?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2011 at 4:10 AM

Ok, what happens when you load the page and select a value from Category? Are you sure your references to the script files are correct? Any errors?

M.

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:05 AM

When I first open the page for adding a new item to the list I can see an error message with the following text:

Error in function
SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns
Parameter
relationshipListParentColumn: FldSubCategoryCategory or relationshipListChildColumn: FldCategoryDescription
Not found in relationshipList SubCategories

Click to continue

Thanks for your help.

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:14 AM

If I am reading the documentation correctly, the ParentColumn and ChildColumn should be set to the DisplayName. In this case, that would be:

parentColumn: "Description",

childColumn: "Category",

Hope this helps.

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I'm still not clear exactly what you're trying to do based on the details you've given.

The relationshipList seems like it should be "Sub Categories", not "SubCategories". The way you're showing the lists' details doesn't make it totally clear to me.

I also *think* that you want this:
relationshipListParentColumn: "FldSubCategoryCategory",
relationshipListChildColumn: "FldSubCategoryDescription",

Are you not using the Title column in Sub Categories for the SubCategory name?

On which form are you trying to use SPCascadeDropdowns?

Try rereading the documentation and doing some more debugging.

M.

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Thank you very much for your help, it works fine now. I didn't notice that relationshipList is expecting the list name instead of the URL.

Thanks,

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM

You're welcome!

M.