Cascading Drop downs via Document Information Panel (DIP)

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Hi Marc (and by extension everyone else)

Before I get into my question, I'd like to congratulate you on your MVP award.  Congratulations!

My question is regarding the use of cascading drop downs via the Office Document Information Panel (DIP).  I've been tasked with creating a Document Information Panel in which a tiered look-up is a possibility,  I've done this in the past on customised aspx pages, and whilst I appreciate that SPServices is a client side technology, I was wondering if there was any scope for a DIP created in InfoPath and applied to Office applications via a Content Type could be manipulated via SPServices?

Failing that, could you give me any insight as to how this could be created?

Many thanks,
Steven 

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Thanks, Steven!

I've had multiple questions about using SPServices with InfoPath (my answer is "probably not", but I've never tried). SPServices is going to work only in a browser where the DOM is as SharePoint generally renders it.

M.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Interesting.  I appreciate the swift response;  

I'm going to have a look at seeing what the cascading drop downs within the form designer can handle when linked to native SharePoint lists, although, I've just spotted a candidate for my first CodePlex project; investigating SPServices & InfoPath.

As you've specified that this is a common question, I may update the thread with my results, if permissible?

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I'm guessing that SPServices won't work with InfoPath Services because the rendered page is going to have a different DOM.

If you think about it, SPServices gives you some functions that are sort of a "poor man's InfoPath". Things like cascading dropdowns are possible in InfoPath forms without any additional components.

M.