Apr 6, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Hi all,

This might be reaching, as it seems like something unique to my implementation, but has anyone else come across something like this:

I have this code powering a cascading dropdown column:

relationshipList: "{C62FA8D5-CF36-47B2-92C1-ADAA40259012}",
			relationshipListParentColumn: "Company",
			relationshipListChildColumn: "Category",
			relationshipListSortColumn: "ID",
			parentColumn: "Nominators Company",
			childColumn: "Category",
			debug: true

The code is working perfectly, but the form itself gives a generic "An unexpected error has occurred" page when the user clicks 'OK' - it doesn't even run OOTB validation first.

If I comment out this code snippet, the form will submit perfectly. It should be noted that I am also running SPRedirectUserWithID from this library on the same page, and this too executes without issue...

any thoughts anyone?

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM

This is caused by invalid data in the dropdown most likely. I have seen this posted before. This actually is the OOTB validation which is having a problem with the dropdown. I am not sure what data might be causing it to error, but I have found that if the dropdown contains items that are not correctly formatted or some special characters. Just something to look into.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Mosre often than bad data is that the relationships between the lists aren't set up properly with respect to the lookups.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I guess my brain is not fully awake this morning as that is a much better way of saying what I meant to say! That is what I meant by bad data!

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Brilliant. Good job gents. Turned out I had set the child column as a choice field long ago, and did not think to change this to a Lookup when I introduced the filtering. 

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM

i want to addd value to dropdown using spservices ?

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:27 PM
iveeresh wrote:

i want to addd value to dropdown using spservices ?

Is that a question or a statement, can you be more specific?

If you want to physically add a new choice to the list, you may be able to use the UpdateList operation to reconfigure the column. If you're just talking about populating a select element with choices you can use straight jQuery to push the options to the field and wouldn't need SPServices unless you were pulling those options from a list.