CascadingDrop downs controlling other web parts

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:49 PM

For one, I have not been able to add the SPServices and have it work from within a Content Editor Webpart...  I can add it to the .aspx page, but not CEWP...

I'm trying to add CasecadingDropdowns to a CEWP so I can setup a three filter dropdown, the selected results of which which would then be used to filter 6 other web parts (list views) on the current page.

Am I crazy?

Also have several other situations where I am anxiously awaiting the production release of the Filtered Dropdown... that is muy bueno...  but, only if I can figure out how to get it to work from within a CEWP or HTML Form WP

Rich

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Rich:

SPCascadeDropdowns is designed to work on a list form, and it sounds like you are trying to use it on some other page. It probably won't work, but I may not be getting the full picture. If it works *not* in a CEWP, then you may just be getting something about the syntax wrong.

Same with SPFilterDropdown: it's designed to work with a form. The current alpha (v0.6.0ALPHA3) ought to work great. Let me know if you spot any issues.

M.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM

oooo...  indeed, it works fine when adding it to a web form, but I can't get it to work with the HTML Form WP at all - perhaps that is out of scope?

I was trying to add a CEWP, or actually an HTML Form WP, that would be used to filter subsequent web parts on the page.

For instance, page would have 6 web parts (list views) which are connected to the HTML Form WP. 

Rather than typing, or manually building the list dropdown list in the HTML Form to filter the child list views on the page, I was trying to load a cascading dropdown in the HTML Form WP.  Once the item in the final dropdown is selected, click Go to filter the connected list views.

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM

SPCascadeDropdowns looks for very specific markup in the page for dropdowns: that which is normally found in a form. If you mimic that markup it will work, but I think that you are doing is, as you say, "out of scope".

I often use DVWPs + script to build the type of functionality you describe.

M.