newbie needs a simple cross-site list rollup example

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM

All -

Please help.

Is there is a simple cross-site list rollup example around for the SpServices library?

Here is the long story.

I am new here.

I have a parent-site and N number of child-sites (AKA sub-sites) under it.

Each subsite has some List, List_X, in it.

Each List_X contains some set of required columns, Column_1 and Column_2.

Each List_X can have N number of other custom columns, where each of these custom columns may or may not exist in the List_X on other child-sites.

I need to have a ListXRollup on the parent-site that shows a aggregate grid of the required columns, showing data from each sub site.

I have tried 3rd party List Rollup Web Part but it does not work.

I tried using Designer's Data Sources area, by adding in the section "Web Services" for each child-site and then using a "Linked Source" to try to combine the data-- but that did not work and I am not sure why but I think it is because the underlying child-site Lists have some columns that are not common across all other child-sites.

So, I am thinking that the SpServices jQuery library might do it-- but, I am so new to this library that I do not know where to begin.

What do you think?

Please advise.

Thank you.

- Mark Kamoski

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM

It sounds to me like a DVWP is a far smarter solution than to pull all of the data out via web services. Sure you can do it with SPServices, but you'd have to call each list separately then aggregate the data into an array or something so you could render it all together; that seems like an unnecessary overhead to me.

Have a look at using a DVWP with CrossList; Marc has some really good blog posts on this on his blog: sympmarc.com.

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Yes, a DVWP with DataSourceMode="CrossList" is a *far* better solution here. The tricky bit would be if you want to show any columns which do not appear in *all* instances of List_X.

Feel free to post more questions here if you need help, or use Stump the Panel here:
http://www.endusersharepoint.com/STP/viewforum.php?f=9

M.