SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns not cascading

May 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I've spend a whole day working on this problem and did a lot of searching but to no avail.  I'm probably doing something stupid and perhaps you can point it out to me.

I have a SP list with two columns.  The list is named "TestList".  The two columns are "Title" and "LookupValue".  ManualCS is a static list of drop down items.  I expect once I select a value from this list, the TestCS drop down will populate.  I'm using the following javascript below in sharepoint desinger on the edit page for another list:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="../../../../../Documents/jquery/jquery-1.6.min.js"></script>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="../../../../../Documents/jquery/jquery.SPServices-0.6.1.js"></script>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
 $(document).ready(function() {
  $().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns({
   relationshipList: "TestList",
   relationshipListParentColumn: "Title",
   relationshipListChildColumn: "LookupValue",
   parentColumn: "ManualCS",
   childColumn: "TestCS",
   debug: true
  });

});
</script>

I receive no on screen errors with this and debug is turned on.   Fiddler does not show any 404 on the script resources and I'm able to debug in firebug jquery and SPServices.  No matter what I try - the childColumn list specified above simply will not populate.  I've confirmed these names are indeed the values in the sharepoint internal values (in the column editor URL).  Also, the lookup list is in the same site so I have no specified the URL (although I've tried!).  I can provoke errors if I misname something so the error handling is working.

thanks a heap!

courtknee

Coordinator
May 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM

courtnee:

I'm not sure from your description if you have things set up right. If you look at the example with Country/Region/State/City I give on the documentation page for SPCascadeDropdowns, you need to have a relationshipList for each relationship between columns. In this case, you're using "TestList". That list should have one item per relationship, in your case between Title and LookupValue.

Then in the list where you want to have the cascading happen, you add the script above to customized versions of the NewForm and/or EditForm.

My guess is that your issue is something to do with how you have TestList set up or what the values are in the items. Take a look at the docs again, and ask more questions as you have 'em.

M.

p.s. Don't get stuck for a whole day without asking for help!

May 9, 2011 at 10:40 PM

thanks for the quick reply!

Perhaps I can clarify and narrow things down. 

I have a relationshipList defined as follows:

Name: TestList

Title       LookupValue

---------------------------

ADM         1

ADM         2

ADM         3

POX          9

POX          10

<end table>

I have the values ADM and POX as static values in the ManualCS drop down.  The values in LookupValue I wish to autopopulate when I select something from ManualCS into the ChapterCS drop down.  Am I thinking of this correct? I have no other tables in play at the moment.  I've went back over the docs a few times but I can't quite see what I may be doing wrong.

thanks again, Courtknee

Coordinator
May 9, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Is ManualCS a Lookup column?

M.
>
May 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Yes - it is a lookup but during my debug process I've changed it to a static list of items so for the moment it does not use a list for values.

Courtknee

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM
Then it's not really a Lookup column, right? All the lookups need to be based on the same lists for this to work. Note that in the example, there is a list for each Lookup column involved in the cascading.

M.
>
May 10, 2011 at 1:55 PM

thanks! you got me thinking about something else which was wrong - my new test data!!

On another note - can this cascade to two children instead of one?  For example - if they select a ManualCS value - can it populate a chapterCS and a sectionCS?  Each would gear off the selected manual.

thanks!

Courtknee

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Courtnee:

Are you sure that you want both chapterCS and sectionCS driven by ManualCS? Or is it really ManualCS -> chapterCS -> sectionCS?

M.