How to cache cascade dropdowns, so that dropdown loads faster?

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I have a List called "List_Vacation Plan"  that has 3 columns.  

1)Column_Country    2) Column_State    3)Column_City

Each Column lookups to a different List.                 1)List_CountryLookup        2)List_StateLookup             3)List_CityLookup.

Column_Country    -->Lookup to --->  List_CountryLookup 

Column_State         -->Lookup to --->   List_StateLookup 

Column_City         -->Lookup to --->   List_CityLookup

There is a cascading relation between Column_Country    ,Column_State    ,Column_City.  (Column_State populates based on the Column_Country selection, and Column_City populates based on the  Column_State )

Now, i have around 200+ data in the List_StateLookup , and List_CityLookup. So when we are trying to add new record to the List Vacation Plan, the Dropdowns (Column_State , Column_City  ) are taking long time to load.

Is there any way i could cache the data in these 2 dropdowns, or cache in the page level so that the dropdowns loads faster?

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I haven't implemented any caching in SPCascadeDropdowns intentionally. Because a user can leave a form open in their browser for an unpredictabvle period of time, I want to always fetch a fresh copy of the cascaded data on change. Each time there's a change, there are Web Service calls to grab that data, and they will take some amount of time. In a well tuned and healthy environment, those calls should take far less time than the corresponding work would take to check for valid values manually. Generally speaking, the number of items in the lists doesn't seem to have a significant effect on the Web Services calls, certainly not in the few hundreds of items range.

M.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Would indexing the three columns help? I’ve never benchmarked this, so am curious if there would be a noticeable improvement.

Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 12:21 PM
To: steve.eagleson@sky.com
Subject: Re: How to cache cascade dropdowns, so that dropdown loads faster? [SPServices:264068]

I haven't implemented any caching in SPCascadeDropdowns intentionally. Because a user can leave a form open in their browser for an unpredictabvle period of time, I want to always fetch a fresh copy of the cascaded data on change. Each time there's a change, there are Web Service calls to grab that data, and they will take some amount of time. In a well tuned and healthy environment, those calls should take far less time than the corresponding work would take to check for valid values manually. Generally speaking, the number of items in the lists doesn't seem to have a significant effect on the Web Services calls, certainly not in the few hundreds of items range.

M.