Must the page using SPServices be hosted within SharePoint?

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Hello, I was hoping to use this code on pages hosted outside of SharePoint.  Is that possible?  I have not been able to make it work so suspect not, but am looking for confirmation.  As soon as I placed the page inside /SitePages and accessed it from there, the code worked.

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM

gcleaves:

While the pages where you use SPServices don't *have* to be within SharePoint, it's common to run into authentication issues if they are not. Either SharePoint doesn't know the user's identity or there can be cross-domain scripting issues. There are far too many variations in all of this for me to usually give a yes or no answer.

M.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Fair enough. Can you point me to any resources where these authentication and scripting issues are discussed further?

Thanks for your help,

Geoff

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Geoff:

Some of it's just basic scripting rules. Other parts of it get into hairy authentication and network topology stuff that I stay away from. Every environment seems different somehow.

Using Fiddler or Firebug to see what is happening with requests is a great starting point. Then you can determine where the issues are, if not how to fix them.

M.