Cascading dropdown without prompt

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I thought I would learn some jquery and sharepoint and jquery spservices, now that I have been forced to learn it at work.  So, doing some searching, and would like to know if there is an option for the cascading dropdown feature that allows me to set if there is a prompt or not.  I would like it to automatically cascade to the next set of items.  So, if I select a dropdown that has the Document libraries for a site, it automatically generates the views, and columns.  And if I select the dropdown that has the views, it automatically generates the columns.

Thanks,

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM
zaryk:

That's not what the SPCascadeDropdowns function here does, if you read the docs. It works on a list form and allows you to relatively easily add cascading relationships between columns.

What you describe is absolutely doable with script, but it's a rather specialized requirement you'll need to write your own script for.

M.
>
Aug 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Oh.  I don't really understand the difference between using it on a list form compared to a search form in a webpart, or setting up for states and regions compared to lists and views, but if you say it doesn't work that way, oh well.  Thanks though.

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM
Client side script operates on what is in the Document Object Model (DOM) for each page. The different pages you mention have significantly different DOMs, so the same script can't work in all of them.

M.
>
Aug 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM

That makes sense.

Thanks.