SPCascadeDropDowns : loading time

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM

First, thank you for your SPServices.

I use it for SPCascadeDropDowns because I have to enter metadata attached to a document library.

I have 3 listbox : the first one for article family, the second one for article subfamily and the last one for articles.

The list of articles contains more than 10.000 items. I have parametered the Edit Form to link Family with Subfamily and Subfamily with Articles. It works but the form takes several minutes to load.

Is there any options to avoid complete loading of the 3rd list and only refresh it and load articles when Family and Subfamily have been selected ?

Thank you for your help.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:57 PM

The script runs after the page loads, so there's no way to prevent the full 10,000 values from coming down to the page. The only way to solve it will be to write server side code. There are also some other third party tools out there that may help, but I haven't used any of them.

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Have you any names/urls of third party tools that may help me ?

Thank you for your help.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:48 PM

No, I really don't know. I haven't tried any of them.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I try to put code before $(document).ready(function()) but it does not work.

SPServices or jQuery can be used before it ?

I put line 'alert("test");" before $(document).ready(function()) and I see the message before waiting for the load of the page. Do you think I could put some code here to prevent loading of list ?

Thanks for you help.