SPCascadeDropdowns not filtering child dropdown field

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I've just tested Alpha13 and I think I ran into an other problem. Right at the beginning when filling "opt" $().SPServices.SPListNameFromUrl() doesn't find any string to work with further on. The listName is set to "" which causes this function to not do anything.

// Get information about the childColumn from the current list
		$().SPServices({
			operation: "GetList",
			async: false,
			listName: opt.listName,
			completefunc: function(xData, Status) {
				$(xData.responseXML).find("Fields").each(function() {
					$(this).find("Field[DisplayName='" + opt.childColumn + "']").each(function() {
						// Determine whether childColumn is Required
						childColumnRequired = ($(this).attr("Required") === "TRUE") ? true : false;
						childColumnStatic = $(this).attr("StaticName");
						// Stop looking; we're done
						return false;
					});
				});
			}
		});
After that the next line causes an error because childColumnStatic has not been initialized yet. I'm not sure what's causing the error, but we're working with a custom form instead of the default edit form from Microsoft. If there's anything I can add to help, please let me know. Let version I tested was Alpha4 and that one worked for us. Can I download that specific version anywhere by any chance?

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM

The correct value is selected afterwards, but all possible options are displayed instead of only the one related to the parent column.

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Andreas:

Can you show how you are calling SPCascadeDropdowns? Aren't you providing a value to listName?

M.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Hello Marc, 

we never explicitly provided the listName, but it worked for us until the new version came out. So now we hand over the listName the error message disappears, and the filter does work now. Also we changed the way how we put together the paramaeter for the SPServices methods, which seems to work out much better for us. Thanks for pointing out the obvious ;-).

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I'm surprised it ever worked if you weren't passing a value for listName. Glad it's working, and thanks for the feedback.

M.