GMail-style Multi-Edit Labeling / Updating w/ Drag-n-Drop

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I want to do some GMail-style multi-editing... I know how to use SPServices to make the multi-updates.

Anyone have a jQuery library preference / example that would integrate some or all of the nice features of GMail?

1. Click, Shift-click to select a series of items
  2. Ctrl-click to select more
  3. Cycling flags (like the Star in GMail)
  4. Apply label to selected
  5. Filter on commands (is:, has:, label:, etc.)
  6. Drag selected to label or status
  7. Apply label to unselected

Thanks!

Blessings,
Jim Bob 

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Jim Bob:

I'm not aware of a library that allows you to do all of the things you mention, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one out there somewhere. You might even want to decompose the GMail pages to see how they are built.

You could certainly build your own set of functions to provide the capabilities. I know that you know how to then write the results of the actions back to the lists items using SPServices.

M.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Have you looked at the jQuery UI library, which brings with it several "widgets" that provide multi-select, click and drag, etc...? I currently use it heavily to customize SharePoint user experience.

_________
Paul T

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM

(I assumed that knowledge. Bad me.)

Yes, jQueryUI is great; I use it all the time. I've also used jEasyUI. It's not as well done but contains more widgets.

M.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Thanks, Paul (and no worries, Marc).

I have used jQueryUI and like it a lot. I assumed that would be the tack I would take unless someone mentioned another library I had missed that did even more. Thanks for the jEasyUI recommendation, Marc. I'll look at that, too, to see if it has widgets I could use.

Blessings,
Jim Bob 

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Jim Bob:

One note about jEasyUI. In my brief experience with it, I wasn't able to get it to work alongside jQueryUI. So it would be one or the other unless you could work that out. It also uses CSS class names that collide with SharePoint's own, so I had to do some tweaks.

M.