Reporting: Do it with SPServices or is there some easier way?

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

For a WSS 3.0 site that I'm building, I need to be able to report on items with that had a certain status assigned between a time frame supplied by the user. I'm thinking about the advantages/disadvantages of various approaches:

1. I could use SPServices to pull the items from the list and then use jQuery to display the results on the page
  2. I could use a DVWP with filter driven by controls on the page
  3. Some other magical (and free) solution

I know SPServices and jQuery well enough to know how I would do #1. I have a rough idea of how to do #2, although I'm still a little vague on filtering on the basis of controls. And #3 is obviously a realm of mystery to me.

I have access to SPDesigner, and I can install stps and things like that, but I have no access to the server and getting access to the server isn't going to happen.

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Carlos:

The desired user experience will be a big factor in this. If you don't care about postbacks, then use a DVWP (or DVWPs for display the date/time selectors and the items. If you want things to feel more 'modern", then use jQuery and SPServices.

When I do #2 type things, I just build all the elements in my DVWP. No separate controls.

M.