"Repeating Row" feature

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I was looking for a way to essentially implement a 'Repeating Row', much like you can on an InfoPath form.  Are there any solutions (combination of existing features) I could use to achieve this?

Quick overview:

Right now, I just have Multi-Select lookup fields implemented, but our client would like the ability to 'Add New ...' with a 'Description' field on each row.

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM

It sounds like you need a master / details list setup. That would be two lists which you can "join" on a common key. You can pull then together with DVWPs or SPServices.

M.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I have a simple master / details list structure in place, it's the actual functionality of a 'Repeating Row' that is challenging me.  Was just wondering if there was something already available for form implementation before I just dive in.

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM

No there's nothing in place, but DVWPs and SPServices should give you the right building blocks.

M.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Inline editing that comes OOTB with DVWP's may give you what you need, however this functionality requires a redirect and may throw off the rest of the form's values if it hasn't been submitted already.

Probably best to roll your own html form, use the modal framework in 2010 to facilitate the repeating form and then refresh your data on the original form after the submit within the modal.

I've been doing some InfoPath lately and there isn't an easy button to create repeating fields in web dev like there is for InfoPath... I've looked. :/

Cheers,

Matt

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Thanks Matt and Marc.  

Inline editing is not an option - I have already converted the New Form to a 'wizard' entry format with steps and client-side validations.  I originally looked into InfoPath forms, but they didn't offer the flexibility / customization (without out code-behind) that I needed so went back to standard forms.  

So just going to see what I can implement using jQuery / SPServices for this.  Should be fun :)

Thanks,

Tom

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Feel free to post back if you need to hash some stuff out...