Using SPServices for site provisioning

May 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I have a need to provision sites from the user side, in hosted environments. This involves creating site columns, content types, lists and columns.

I posted my question on stackexchange:

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/35491/site-provisioning-in-hosted-environments

I am relaying it here because I am thinking that Web sevices could be the right answer. Has anybody tried this with SPServices?

Coordinator
May 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Here what I posted on StackExchange:

I think that sandboxed solutions *will* work, but that's not my thing. Otherwise, how could people deploy a large number of sites? I understand one can interact with an Office365 site using Powershell remotely as well.

However, I've often thought about the possibility of using SPServices to deploy a large number of objects. One could certainly build out the XML representations, store them somewhere accessible by script (probably a Custom List) and then spin through and create the desired objects. I've never pursues it because it's the exact thing that people use Powershell or managed code to do.

M.

May 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I see that there are possibilities for most of this stuff after doing a lot on the managed code side. Now, I can't do that and am forced to find "alternative" ways of doing things. I have written code to create content types and create lists from SPServices. I think that it might be possible to do most of it through code. Some features I do miss such as CreateListFromContentType. I am still mainly on SP2007 so don't even have sandboxed solutions and our current 2010 site doesn't even allow them because somehow they are considered unsecure (not sure why!). I think that it would be something nice to look into and my evil brain is kicking into high gear (insert best evil laugh here!)