Using Calculated column in Cascading dropdowns

May 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Is it possible to use a calculated column as the displayed item with the Cascade Dropdown function?

I have 4 lists, Facilities, Equipment ,Equipment Deployment and Meter readings. Equipment Deployment has lookup columns so that we can pick a Facility, pick a piece of equipment (in this case printers) and then enter the Serial Number and location in the building.

Meter Readings is to collect monthly data for each printer. I created a custom NewItem form and set up the cascade between Facility and Serial Number and this worked fine, but since serial numbers are not easily remembered, i need to display something better in the dropdown. I created a Calculated column in the equipment deployment list to concatenate the Serial Number and Location, but i can't get it to display in the dropdown, is this even possible?

Bottom line, i need to pick a facility and display a filtered list of values such as

• 1234-Corneroffice,
  • 4567-Receptionist
  • 9878-3rd floor

Can anyone offer an guidance or suggestions.

May 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

You might want to look at the SPDisplayRelatedInfo function. It can display information about the chosen value that lives in the related list.

Calculated columns aren't shown in forms by default, and aren't editable. If you want that calculated column to show in the dropdown, you'll need to manufacture it and set the real dropdown with the appropriate value when selected.

May 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Edited May 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Marc, thanks for the suggestion, i think that this function will meet my needs, but i am having a problem getting it work. I am trying to display 2 columns, the column headings show up below the dropdown on my customized New Form but the values don't display, the headings stay visible and data never displays. Any idea what i might have done wrong?

columnName: "Serial Number",
               relatedList: "{80E3D14E-7547-4CB9-9C6B-16C2591A03D7}",
               relatedListColumn: "Facility",
               relatedColumns: ["BldgFloor", "FloorLocation"],
               displayFormat: "table",
               debug: true

I just found my problem, i was using the wrong RelatedListColumn

May 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Is the InternalName for the relatedListColumn "Facility" or "Title"? If it's wrong, since you have debug on you should get a message, so maybe it's right.

Also, if your form is customized, then the function may not be finding the column on the page. It's deigned to work with the out of the box forms; there's no way I can predict all the customizations you might do.