Single Dropdown and Multiple Lists

May 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Edited May 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I have a question that maybe someone can shed some ideas on. I have a lot of data I need to populate a list with and due to the huge amount of data that will exist I was wondering about segregating the data across multpiple lists as i.e. last names beginning with:

List 1: a thru c

List 2: d thru f

etc...

then using spservices to filter the request (based on a value I set from the user submitting a form) and get the data from the correct list and then populate the dropdown. This would help speed up the site and in my case the companies limitations of 2k items in a list.

Edit: This is on a SharePoint 2007 (MOSS) Server.

May 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

If you are using SP2010 you  can put all of the items in one list and just create views that filter the items so that less than 5,000. see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262813.aspx for a detailed explanation.

HTH
Dean

May 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I should have stated I am on SP 2007. Sorry!

Coordinator
May 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

There is no real 2k limit on the number of items on a list. I've had lists with 30k+ items in them in 2007 and had no performance problems. It all depends on what you want to do with the data. If you keep the number of items shown in the views low, then you may have no issues at all.

My rule of thumb: try it first to see whether there are actually any issues.

M.