Implementing a multidirectional cascading dropdown

May 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Hello everyone,

I want to create a cascading dropdown in my list "Skills" that works on two ways:

1. Chose categorie in a first row and select the corresponding skill in a second row
2. Chose the skill first and select the corresponding categorie then

The first implementation is working, but I have problems implementing the second one.

Let me give you some background regarding my list structure:
List "Skills":
This is the list where I want to implement the dropdown effect. I implemented the two dropdowns "Categorie" and "Skill" here.
"Category" is a lookup to the list "Skill-Categories". "Skill" is a lookup to the list "Skill-Names".

List "Skill-Categories":
This is just a list of categories. Each category name is stored in the "Title" column. Beside there are no more columns.

List "Skill-Names":
This list contains two relevant columns. The skill-name is stored in the "Title" column. Beside there is a lookup column "Category" that references the "Skill-Category" list.

I realized my first implementation with the following lines of code:

<!--[CDATA[<mce:script _mce_src="/services/spm/SearchSites/spcd.js" type="text/javascript"></mce:script>
  	<mce:script type="text/javascript"><! 
var ccd1 = new cascadeDropdowns ("Skillkategorie", "Skill", "Kategorie", "Skills-Lookup", "Title");
// -->
<![CDATA[<script src="/services/spm/SearchSites/spcd.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var ccd1 = new cascadeDropdowns("Skill-Categorie", "Skill", "Category", "Skill-Names", "Title");

I would expect to realize my second implementation with the following lines of code:

<![CDATA[<script src="/services/spm/SearchSites/spcd.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
//var ccd1 = new cascadeDropdowns("Skill-Categorie", "Skill", "Categorie", "Skill-Names", "Title");

var ccd2 = new cascadeDropdowns("Skill", "Skill-Categorie", "Title", "Skill-Names", "Categorie");

Does anyone have an idea why my second implementation is not working and how to solve the problem?

Indeed, thank you very much for helping me.

May 30, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I don't think you're asking your question on the right Codeplex project. It looks like you are using the SharePoint Cascaded Lookups - JavaScript based script file, not SPServices.