This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Is it possible to make a cross domain call ( accessing list items of a different server's sharepoint site)

May 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Hi ,

Is it possible to make a cross domain call to access the sharepoint services of a different server ?

I want to get the list items of a sharepoint site which is in a different server.

If not directly possible please suggest a workaround(if any).

a simple example/code snippet would be appreciated .


Thanks in advance,




May 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM

It is indeed possible, but there's really not a simple answer. It all depends on your network topology and authentication mechanisms. Web Services calls happen under the identity of the current user. If you have a straightforward network topology and are using Windows Authentication, then generally things work fine. You simply provide a value for the webURL (as shown in the docs) where the source list data is stored.


May 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I do not know if i asked the question correctly earlier.

But here is the problem.

We have sharepoint farm abc . and  a site in it has spservices lib in it and i am using it to access various resources in the same farm ( urls starting with http://abc/..)

We have remote sharepoint farm xyz whose site collections start with http://xyz/ .. I want to access a particular list in that site collection.  

i gave the URL http://xyz/zzz/zz/ in the webURL field of sp services. but I am not getting any result. status returned is zero and status text is "No Transport".

And the remote server uses windows authentication (NTLM).

How should i approach this problem?

And  another question is how can i pass the credentials explicitly if wanted?

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I have a friend that got this working a few weeks ago. Works only on IE and you need to set a jquery Ajax option (forgot the name now, but Google search should give you direction)... that option can be set globally so that SPServices calls also inherit it.

One thing I did not like from what I observed was that the user (on first access ) was given a warning and had to accept/grant the access, else it would not work.

Again, IE only solution. The limitation to cross-domain calls via Ajax is a security feature of all browsers. Even in IE, I believe it works for URLs in the same organization/company; I take that to mean within trusted zones/domains.

Hope this helps.


Sent from mobile