Creating a Site Map

May 31, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I would like to retrieve a set of subsites underneath the existing site but I don't see a native capability within SPServices to do that.  Does SharePoint keep this information in a list that I could exploit?

May 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Keep in mind that SPServices simply "wraps" the exisitng Web Services. If you drill down into the documentation for the core $().SPServices capabilities, you'll see the that the GetAllSubWebCollection operation will probably do what you need.

May 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Fantastic!  Thanks, Marc!  I'm long overdue in using SPServices but I plan to use it quite a bit from here...

May 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Edited May 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Do I need certain permissions to access GetAllSubWebCollection?  I'm a site collection owner and outputted the responseText but it shows Access Denied.

May 31, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Yes, you need Site Admin permissions, I believe.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM

In SP2007, if you are a "Site Collection Administrator", it grants you full, unconditional permissions on everything within the site collection, regardless of any personal permissions you may be assigned.  This is different than being assigned to a role such as "Site Owner" within a site or being granted "Full Control" permission.  Those can be overridden in sub-sites.  If you're getting "Access Denied" on anything within the site collection, it's most likely you are not listed in "Site collection administrators" and don't have the proper role or permission within the object being denied.  To check that in SP2007, go to the TOP LEVEL "Site Settings" and look under "Users and Permissions."  Click on "Site collection administrators" to see who all is listed.  If you don't see "Site collection administrators" under "Users and Permissions", then you aren't one.