spCascadeDropdowns Issue ?

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Hi

I have used spCascadeDropdowns with great success in a discussion board that I have been working with in SharePoint 2010.

However, it seems to have caused an issue with the Reply functionality on the Discussion Board.

I have 3 subject and subtopic fields on the New Discussion form which cascade wonderfully using spCascadeDropdowns. When someone clicks reply, however, the three cascading fields are still shown on the form. I can only assume that this is because they are still used within the Javascript when the form opens.

I guess my question is this .... Is it possible to tell whether the Discussion Board form is in "new topic" mode or "reply" mode ?  I have noticed that they are both the same .aspx and I would hope that I can set it so that the spCascadeDropdowns code only runs in "new topic" mode.

Any help would be immensely appreciated as always.

Ben

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

A reply will include a URL querystring argument of "DiscussionParentID=i" (where i is the actual ID of the parent).  If it is a new discussion item, that argument will not exist.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Thank you so much - I was pushed away from what I was doing at work for a couple of weeks and only got back to this today. Your assistance helped me to understand this a lot better.

Ben