SPCascade not displaying 1st item

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM

When i select the 1st item in my main dropdown, there are not any items shown in the secondary dropdown, when i choose any other item in the main dropdown, the correct items display in the secondary dropdown. Everything looks correct in the relationship list. does anyone have any idea what might be causing this type of anomaly or have any suggestions about how i might be able to troubleshoot?

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:04 AM

If you haven't chosen anything in the first (parent) dropdown, then there are no valid values for the second (child) dropdown until you select a parent value. Want to post your data and script? Hard to know what's going on otherwise.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Mark, I am choosing the 1st value in the parent, but the second (child) dropdown is not showing the related items, it works fine for the all of the other items in the parent. I'm not getting an error, i just see (None) as the only choice in my second dropdown.

Below is my script.

<![CDATA[<script language="javascript" src="/corp/eqm/SiteAssets/Scripts/jquery-1.7.1.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script language="javascript" src="/corp/eqm/SiteAssets/Scripts/jquery.SPServices-0.7.1a.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function() {  
    relationshipList: "Subprocesses",
    relationshipListParentColumn: "CoreProcess",
    relationshipListChildColumn: "Title",
    parentColumn: "CoreProcess",
    childColumn: "Subprocess",
    debug: true

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

If it's working for most values, but not that one, then I'd guess that it's a data problem.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Thanks, i'm guessing that it is a data problem also, but i have no idea what might be wrong with the data, it works fine in the lists directly. A subset of the data is below, the column on the right is the parent. In the dropdown, the B1 values do not display, B2, B3, and B4 work fine

B1.1 Proposal Review Cycle

B1 - Business Development
B1.2 Proposal Win or Loss B1 - Business Development
B1.3 GPS Win Rate B1 - Business Development
B2.1 Internal Communications B2 - Corporate Relations
B2.2 External Communications B2 - Corporate Relations
B3.1 Lease Management and Initiation B3 - Facilities
B3.2 Tenant Improvement Management B3 - Facilities
B4.1 Revenue Cycle B4 - Finance
Oct 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Edited Oct 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Marc,  I finally found the problem with my data, i had 2 spaces between some words in the 1st list, removing the extra space solved the problem. It appears that there may be a bug in the SPCascadeDropdrown that occurs when the relationshipListParentColumn data contains consecutive spaces.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Hmm. That shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps I have a bug. Can you cause the error to recur by adding a double space?

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:08 AM

yes it is repeatable, the exact syntax of my data is as shown above for item B1. If a i add 2 spaces betweed the - and Business OR between Business and Development, the related items are not available for selection, when i remove the extra space it works fine. I did another test on item B8 and it failed also so it does not matter which item in the list contains the duplicates space, 

I added an extra space to a item in the related (chilld) list and it showed up as expected so the problem appears to be limited to the the parent list

Sorry, but it looks like a bug for sure.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Is that really a bug though? Technically they are different values right?

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

PirateEric, yes it is a big deal because the related values are not displaying in the second drop down list in this situation. there is nothing wrong with the relational integrity, the lookups work fine in the original lists themselves.

They are not different values, the values that are linked to index item x do not display when the text description of index item x contains consecutive spaces. I don't think that the display of the related data should not be affected by the descripton , it should only be affected by the ID value.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:03 PM

To help me in debugging this, could you try the matchOnId option to see if the same problem occurs?