List polling or ...

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM

The environment I'm working in is WSS 3.0 and the tools I have access to are SharePoint Designer and jQuery and SPServices, obviously. I'm trying to figure out how to fulfill a requirement I've recently gotten and SPServices is one way, but I wanted to see if there were other ideas as well.

What I need to do is confirm adherence to requirements to create items on a certain schedule in various lists (some monthly, some quarterly, some annual, etc), and then display them on a dashboard type page of some sort.

Basically, I need something like:
Upload Compliance

Location List1 List2 List3
Site1 Compliant Compliant Non-compliant
Site2 Non-compliant Compliant Compliant
Site3 Compliant Compliant Compliant

The thought I had was to use SPServices to poll the lists and find the most recent entry created by site. Then I could evaluate that against the criterion for that specific list, e.g. is it newer than the end of the 2nd Quarter of this year, that kind of thing.

So far, that's the best thing I've come up with. It's a fairly daunting prospect as there are over 35 sites and more than 20 lists, so if anyone has any ideas that are more efficient than the one I've laid out, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks,

Carlos

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Carlos:

I'd probably use a DVWP for this because it would mean the processing would occur on the client and render everything at one go. Either way, you're going to be traversing the site topology to find the lists, make your determinations, and emit the results.

M.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:06 AM

So do you have to set up a monster linked data source with all 20+ lists in it? Or do you just do that from the XSL somehow? I'm a little vague on access multiple datasources from DVWPs. Is there a good reference somewhere?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 3:10 AM

You can use DataSourceMode="CrossList", I think. Search my blog for that and you'll find posts with examples.

M.