Custom Form Unknown Error (ULS Errors Included) upon Item Submission.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Morning all,

My SharePoint set-up is SharePoint 2010 Standard v 14.0.4769.1000 on a Windows 2008 R2 Standard farm.

I'm experiencing a problem with a custom list and some changes I've made to the form using SPServices Cascading Drowpdowns function.  I've created a brand new "NewForm.aspx" and inserted my code.  Having tested it, it appears to work, so I've proceeded to set it as the default.

Upon it being released, I've had a few people test it, at which point I generate an Unknown Error" and associated error message in the ULS (see below for these).  The form is attached to a brand new custom list that's had a custom content type attached to it.  It's not been migrated from previous versions of SharePoint.  All customisation work has been done in SPD.

Upon restoring the original form, items can be submitted to the list as expected.

Looking at the ULS, I get the following errors: -

ULS Error One

MetadataNavigationContext Page_InitComplete: No XsltListViewWebPart was found on this page[/departments/applications/Lists/opslog/NewForm_VAST.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fdepartments%2Fapplications%2FLists%2Fopslog&ContentTypeId=0x010047430656E3F149B0B52DBE74F9CF6E0900398159A5A0253E448CA966FB22473939&IsDlg=1].

Hiding key filters and downgrading tree functionality to legacy ListViewWebPart(v3) level for this list.

3dc7dd70-0d1b-481c-b92a-ea81d029cce7

ULS Error Two

System.ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled using

<pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page.

For security purposes, this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate

from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid and expected,

use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register the postback or callback data for validation. at System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.ValidateEvent(String uniqueId, String argument) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList.LoadPostData(String postDataKey, NameValueCollection postCollection) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessPostData(NameValueCollection pos... 3dc7dd70-0d1b-481c-b92a-ea81d029cce7

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas as to where I can look, I'd be happy to hear them.  I appreciate that this may not be a SPS related query but if anyone has seen this before, I'd appreciate some commentary

Thanks,
Steven

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Yes, both items are somewhat related. The first issue has 2 options of remedy. You can leave the original form alone and make a copy of it. On the copy be sure that you remove the actual "webpart" for the form. When you go to attach the new form in designer be sure to select the content type for the form. The second issue looks like you are adding values to the dropdown that are not originally on the form. Is that what you are doing??

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Hi spevilgenius,

Thanks for your response.

I have left the original form alone.  Changes made have been to a new form generated in SPD.  Previewing this aspx page works fine but its only on submission to my list that the error message is generated.  The only web part on this aspx page according to maintenance page is the DataFormWebPart.  I'm not sure what relevance this has though?

On the second issue, my child column is a drop down box with one set of values, the look-up list that SPServices taps into to replace them with has different values as a colleague updated them.  I'll get these edited and will test again.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 3:13 AM

If the dropdown isn't using the list as its source, then SPCascadeDropdowns won't work. Odds are that you're trying to set a value with a different ID than is correct. That would throw an error.

M.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Morning Marc,

Ah, that might explain it.  My child column was a choice column rather than a look-up.  I'll get this changed and will report back.  Slight oversight on my part.

Thanks for the tip.