Question about resolving non-Sharepoint groups

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Hi Marc,

First of all - I am loving the library! The more I play with it, the more I find things that we could really use in our environment.

I have a question though about using SPServvices to determine if a named user is in a Sharepoint group. I've already worked out how to use "GetUserCollectionFromGroup" to get the Sharepoint users from a named Sharepoint group, which works fine.

However, we use the "NT Authority\authenticated users" as well as AD groups - do you happen to know of any way I can determine if a named user is in one of these groups? Or is this something that isn't possible to do in SPServices, and I need to look elsewhere?

Do you have any tips on whether (or how) I can achieve the above please?

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM

"NT Authority\authenticated users" is sort of the lazy man's permissioning. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but it means that anyone who is logged into the network will have the permissions you've given that group. If you call $().SPServices.SPGetCurrentUser(); and get a result, then the user is logged in.

There's nothing in SPServices that lets you query AD groups. The general best practice is to add an AD security group to a SharePoint permission group and use it that way.

M.