How to "reset" fetching results for SPCascadeDropdowns

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Hi :)

first at all I want to thank you all for those wonderful scripts. They made my worklife so much easier!

But here is my question:

Is it possible to retrigger the fetching of results  for SPCascadeDropdowns?

Following scenario:

I have a lookup dropdown field which offers a selection of different services (for example Webhosting, Webdevelopment etc.) with the SPFilterDropdown function I filter a lookup dropdown with companies which offer these services. This works like a charm. 

Now to the tricky point. Dependant on the selected service and company there could be different contracts which should be filtered in a multi lookup field. (I'm using SPCascadeDropdowns for this) Each contract with a company can be valid for more than one service.

The first time I make my selections:

Select service -> select company -> filtered list of contracts

everything is fine.

But if I decide to change the selected service with the same company. I always get the same filter result for Contracts. Like I mentioned, the first time i make my selection with any combination it works perfect.

Is it possible to reset the SPservices functions to act like the first time it was triggered? I assume that the scripts cache the query results and reuse them for performance improvement. Right?

I'm working with a single lookup list for the services, a relationlist with company and Services(multiselect) and a relationlist with contracts, company and services(multiselect).

The multiselect fields in the relationlists are a must have. 

Hopefully someone can give me a hint how to get around this problem.

Thanks a lot 

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

It's a little hard to follow what you are doing, but I think the problem may lie with the second relationshipList. Each relationshipList should maintain a single relationship, e.g., Region -> Country or State -> Region.

When you change the Service, you should see both the Company and Contracts reset every time, if I understand how you are calling SPCascadeDropdowns. It might help if you could post your code.

I'm not caching the results because, if you think about it, the amount of data is highly unpredicatable, as is the client machine's capability. In v0.7.2, I'm introducing some rudimentary caching in the core functions to see how people end up using it.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Hi Marc,

thank you for your answer.

I was thinking to complicated and was able to solve the issue with 2 CascadingDropdown functions and the help of customizing the spservices like described in this discussion (answer of toadmyster). Conditional CAML Query filtering would be a real neat feature for future versions if possible ;)