Access to external database

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to access an external database-connection with SPServices?

I have a read-only database-connect to an external MS-SQL-Server. I was able to create a database connection with SharepointDesigner and display it in a web-part.

Is it also possible to access this database-connect with SPServices? Btw: I'm not able to use BCS :(

I already tried "GetListCollection" and "SiteDataGetListCollection" but the database-connect isn't listed.

If this isn't possible, perhaps somebody has an idea how to achieve my case.

There is an external database, where new projects are entered with an unique ID. I have a sharepoint to track specific projects for my account.

Currently, if a new project comes in, an administrator looks in the "foreign" system and creates a new list-entry in sharepoint by hand.

This "by hand" I want to semi-automate. I want to have one page, where the administrator types in the project-ID and after hitting a button the needed data are fetched from the external source and a new item is created on the own sharepoint.

I have no possibility to install any additional software on the sharepoint.

Any help/tips/tricks would be highly appreciated.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Hi, I don't think that is possible, but you can create a "proxy page" in sharepoint designer returning the info you need. Then you can access that info with the jQuery Ajax function

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

ok, thats also my current plan. But it would have been nicer to directly query the needed info.