Access to external database

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Hi everybody,

Summary:

Is it possible to access an external database-connection with SPServices?

Detail:

I have a read-only database-connect to an external MS-SQL-Server. I was able to create a database connection with SharepointDesigner and display it in a web-part.

Is it also possible to access this database-connect with SPServices? Btw: I'm not able to use BCS :(

I already tried "GetListCollection" and "SiteDataGetListCollection" but the database-connect isn't listed.

If this isn't possible, perhaps somebody has an idea how to achieve my case.

Case:

There is an external database, where new projects are entered with an unique ID. I have a sharepoint to track specific projects for my account.

Currently, if a new project comes in, an administrator looks in the "foreign" system and creates a new list-entry in sharepoint by hand.

This "by hand" I want to semi-automate. I want to have one page, where the administrator types in the project-ID and after hitting a button the needed data are fetched from the external source and a new item is created on the own sharepoint.

I have no possibility to install any additional software on the sharepoint.

Any help/tips/tricks would be highly appreciated.

Joerg

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Hi, I don't think that is possible, but you can create a "proxy page" in sharepoint designer returning the info you need. Then you can access that info with the jQuery Ajax function

/Fredrik

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Hi,

ok, thats also my current plan. But it would have been nicer to directly query the needed info.

Thanks