SPCascadeDropdowns not working on Document Sets

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM

SPCascadeDropdowns is working just fine on my document content types in my library. However, it doesn't work in Document Sets. I think this is due to Document Set forms being stored in _layouts, but all the script calls are contained in the master page. Is there a way to apply SPCascadeDropdowns to Document Set forms?

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I'm not sure that I've ever tried SPCascadeDropdowns on Document Sets. If the script isn't in the form page, then of course nothing will happen. Can you describe a bit more what's going on?

M.

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:47 PM

On a customer site, we have a custom master page containing references to jquery-1.7.2.min.js and SPServices.0.7.1a.min.js and a .js file containing the SPCascadeDropdowns function calls, so it's definitely on the form page. Viewing the source gives the same internal and display names as on regular form pages. When I run the script debugger in developer tools, it gives me an error "SCRIPT5007: Unable to get value of the property 'SPCascadeDropdowns': object is null or undefined." The only thing that pops out at me is that the Document Set forms seem to use different styles than regular forms, so maybe they're in a different container that overrides the calls? Beyond some googling which resulted in finding out that Document Set forms are contained in the _layouts folder and that the only way to customize them is with custom code, I have no idea. 

Thanks,
Meri

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Keep in mind that the files in _layouts (application files) use a different master page than the site-based pages.

Also, I wouldn't recommend putting the SPCascadeDropdowns call in the master page because it will then run on every page whether or not there is a dropdown.

M.