Help with rolling up multiple lists into one list

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM

A little background...I am working for a client that does not allow use of Visual Studio or SharePoint Designer. I am building a SharePoint solution to collect feedback on projects from IT, Business, and Project Management which is built using SharePoint lists. I am importing spreadsheets into SharePoint from these three areas. The lists start out with the same information project number, project name, and project hours. But they differ in that each of the respective groups (Business, IT, Project Management) have specific columns for their own area. I need to rollup items across each of the lists and display in one list. What would be ideal is if I can rollup the list items and combine them in one item on one list, so when a user clicks on the list item on the display and edit form all of the information from all three lists displays. Does anyone have any suggestions? I plan on downloading the SP Services, but I am not sure where to start. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Brian.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM

If the client has the Enterprise version, you could utilize a content type for all of these lists, then hook into the search operation to fetch the data.

http://spservices.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Search&referringTitle=%24%28%29.SPServices

If they don't, then you'll need to make separate calls to GetListItems on the 3 separate lists and aggregate the data.

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Brian:

Waht you want to do is going to be pretty hard without Visual Studio OR SharePoint Designer. You might want to just stick to the Content Query Web Part.

M.