Oct 16, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Please how can i get the name entered in a field type People in NewForm.aspx?

I want to capture the name entered in order to obtain additional data of theuser name.
I do not understand how can i get the object returned by the function.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Edited Oct 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I couldn't use it also, and after checking the code I don't get it at all.

If you try to map an existing people picker, to SPFindPeoplePicker, I would expect to do something like:

var $ppCtrl = $("#idOfPeoplePickerControl").SPFindPeoplePicker();

then I would get his current value using 

However, this approach didn't work and after checking the code I couldn't get how it would ever work. I found a  $("nobr") on the constructor, which I don't get what he is trying to match, since there are no <nobr> in the page. So clearly I am not using this method the right way. Could someone clarify this problem?

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Edited Oct 16, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Works for me. A simple test on a Tasks list,

var assigned = $().SPFindPeoplePicker({  peoplePickerDisplayName: "Assigned To"});

I put my username in the assigned to box, added some text in my title field and tabbed out.  The console logged an object containing my domain name (in Firefox). From there, just get the username then do whatever else you need.

If I change it to, it outputs my domain account. 

var assigned = $().SPFindPeoplePicker({ peoplePickerDisplayName: "Assigned To"});
Oct 17, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Eric's using the function the way I intended. For the other two of you, if you look at the docs, you'll see that I follow a different pattern that you're looking for. I want to allow you to get at things on the forms without worrying about what the id of any controls are, etc.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM
When I try it, it always throws the following error:

Message: Object doesn't support property or method 'SPFindPeoplePicker'
Jan 31, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Odds are that you don't have the references to jQuery and/or SPServices correct in your page. Can you successfully call any other SPServices function?

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Hi Marc,

I am trying to use this function with a PeoplePicker not generated by a list (it's not in a list form).. What parameters/code would I need to be able to specify the DisplayName on the peoplepicker so the SPFindPeoplePicker can actually locate it? Tried pretty much everything so far!

Also, does this handle multiple entries in the people picker? I need to be able to get the details of potentially several users in the one picker.

Many thanks and keep up the excellent work, you have saved my sanity with this library!! :)

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Can you explain a little more about where the People Picker is? I can't think of a place other than a list form where it could be.

p.s. It's usually best to start a new thread for a new question rather than tacking onto an old one.
Feb 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM
sympmarc wrote:

Can you explain a little more about where the People Picker is? I can't think of a place other than a list form where it could be.

p.s. It's usually best to start a new thread for a new question rather than tacking onto an old one.
Sorry about that, I figured as it relates to SPFindPeoplePicker this would be the best place.. Won't happen again :)

I've actually sorted it myself by reading your blog post at http://sympmarc.com/2012/04/22/working-with-sharepoint-people-pickers-with-jquery-a-new-function-called-findpeoplepicker/ and realising you are referencing the "nobr" that the list form would generate.. Sneaky! ;)

So, by creating a table with the first column containing the text for the displayName after a nobr, SPFindPeoplePicker can find it fine now! :D

Basically I'm using the PeoplePicker in a custom form which doesn't contain any other SharePoint information, let alone a list.. I'll try and put up a blog post of my own at some point to explain further and send you the link!

Thanks again
Nov 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Please help! I've tried and tried with this and I just can't get it to return a name.

The code I'm using is:

var a;
var b;
var c;
var who;
var auth;

$(document).ready(function() {
    a = $().SPServices.SPFindPeoplePicker({peoplePickerDisplayName: "Staff Name"});
    console.log( a );
    who = a.currentValue;
    b = $().SPServices.SPFindPeoplePicker({peoplePickerDisplayName: "Holiday Authoriser",});
    auth = b.currentValue;
    c = $().SPServices.SPGetCurrentUser({fieldName: "Name"});
    console.log( auth );
    console.log( c );
In the console, when reporting bac the variable 'a' I just see [object object] when I look at the 'who' or a.currentValue I just get a blank.

The current user gives me my username but I just can not get it to return me the user that is in the people picker.

My aim is to get the names into a variable so then I can compare the fields and if the current user is either the staff member or the authoriser then it will show the comments, otherwise it will hide the information.

If anyone can help me with this it will be greatly appreciated!

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I assume you're putting this into the EditForm and the two People Pickers are already populated when the form loads?

As per the docs, the function returns an object with information about the People Picker.

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Hey Marc, yeah, there's two people pickers. I'm trying to run this on the Display and Edit form. The problem seems to be that the variables aren't being populated by the object. When I'm outputting the variables to the console there's nothing there when I do the variable.CurrentValue and when I just do the variable it just says [object object].

I'm not a developer but I've been through the documentation and I can't work out why this isn't working.

My objective is to hide a comments field if the person that is looking at the display or edit form isn't the the creator or the person that authorises the record ie the two people picker fields.

If you can help me with this or if you have an alternative solution that would be great.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Can you tell me what versions of jQuery, SPServices, and browser you are using?

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Of course, I'm using internet explorer 9, jQuery 1.10.2 and SP Services 2013.01. I'm using the .min version of both jQuery and SP Services.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Afternoon, @sympmarc I was wondering if you managed to find anything with this. I'm completely stuck with it and I just can't seem to get it working. If you could help me at all with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

This function wont work on a DisplayForm, only on NewForm and EditForm, since the DisplayForm doesn't have the PeoplePicker.

You've said that "there's nothing there when I do the variable.CurrentValue". When you call the function like so:
var peoplePicker = $().SPFindPeoplePicker({
  peoplePickerDisplayName: "Your Column Name"
are the attributes of peoplePicker present?

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Hi Marc,
I want to get the people picker value selected by user while adding new item in newform.aspx (This page is OOBX). I have created a people picker field manaully.I am using SP2013 and content editor webpart with jquery to get the value of people picker when user clicks on save button in newform.Please suggest me how to do this.

Thanks ,
Iranna G