Use UpdateListItems to update related list's lookup value

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Hi,

I've successfully gotten spservices working throughout a new project. I have 2 lists with a dual relationship to each other. Changes on one should update the other. The parent has a multi-select lookup. Child has a single.

What I'm trying to do is use jquery to update the status value of the child lookup when the item is "deselected" from the parent's multi-select lookup and vice versa. I've been looking throughout the discussion board and cannot see how to do this. Can this be done?

I have event receivers to update the related lists when the lookup values are added, This works fine. Having issues on removing the items, so I'd prefer using jquery for this part.

Any ideas?

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

WaveA:

I don't really understand your description, but I think you can do what you want. You'll have to add some script to both list's forms from the sounds of it.

One suggestion would be to think through your information architecture, though, as this dual updating thing makes it sound like you may not have the best design there,

M.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I got this part working using the Event Receiver, but using the version history, rather than Before/After properties.

With regards to design, this is MOSS. This is not SharePoint 2010. All the new relationship enhancements are not in MOSS.

The dual updating thing, most definitely was not my idea and is totally custom for MOSS.

However, the idea is common with regards to parent-child relationships and any normal DBMS. I won’t get started on that.

Unlike all the suggestions online with using connected web parts and custom forms or query string parameters, I'm not doing any of that, which is much cleaner and the client cannot mess it up.

Thanks for the idea and for responding to my emails.

A