CAMLQuery vs "query"

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM

The documentation states: 

options 
The options vary based on which Web Service and operation you are calling. In all instances, the options will take the same names as those described in the SDK. 

However, for GetListItems one must specify "CAMLQuery" instead of "query", CAMLViewFields, etc. (I can see why they are split out, much easier to build the query....)

Is this an exception specific to the GetListItems method? Are there other exceptions I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I did create some exceptions in some of the operations I wrapped early on. Any exceptions should be in the documentation. If you run into anything specific, you can either check the source code or ping back here and I can help.

M.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM

OK, thanks, Marc!

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM

By the way, the documentation on GetListItems (http://spservices.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=GetListItems) does not explicitly mention the other options - in fact, "CAMLQuery" is only actually mentioned in the comments on the page. 

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Fair point. If you look at the main page for the Lists Web Service, you can see what options are available.

M.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM

That's exactly what I was looking for - somehow I managed to miss it yesterday. Thanks!

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I have always figured that ssince you have to "pass through" there on the way to the individual pages (where I have them) that it was sufficient. It took me a lot of time to synthsize the MSDN docs into what I have on the SPServices site.

M.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Completely reasonable assumption. I probably found the name of the method I want and clicked it without examining the contents of the other columns. This one's on me!