Max Limit on SPUpdateMultipleListItems

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Hey Everyone,

I just started using SPUpdateMultipleListItems (using version 0.7.2), and it works fine...until I go above around 500 items to update. Is there some kind of upper limit on how many items in the list can be updated? This particular list has around 1200 items.

When I try to run this code on something that contains more than  < 500 items, it will run, take a few seconds, and complete. When I try to run this code on something that contains > 500 items, it doesnt throw an error, but it doesnt really run will execute, and immediately finish running. I have alerts set up before and after to approximate the timing of execution time.

webURL: "http://myURL",
  listName: "TestMaterials",
  batchCmd: "Update",
  CAMLQuery: "<Query><Where><Leq><FieldRef Name='ID'/><Value Type='Text'>600</Value></Leq></Where></Query>",
  valuepairs: [["ColToBeUpdated", "5"]],
  debug: true
Jan 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I only made SPUpdateMultipleListItems moderately smart about what it does. It batches everything together into one update, which may well be a bad idea in some circumstances. If you're going to use the function heavily, I'd suggest that you take a look at how it works and adapt it to your particular needs.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I figured it would be something like that - SP shouldn't really be used in this way (large data sets) in my opinion. I'll probably just break up the query into a few separate updates for now.

Thanks for the quick response!

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I've always batched it in sets of 150-200 for large updates.  Seems you get the best performance with that amount of items.  I never tried to find out the limit, but 500 seems like a good number.  I'll make a mental note of that. ;-)