New to SPCascadeDropdowns

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Hello, new to using this and JQuery in general. I have verified through alerts that SPServices is accessble. I have two lists:

Department with one column "Title"
Topics with two columns "Title" and "Department"

Department and Title have the same information.

Script I have on the page:
<script type="text/javascript"> $(document).ready(function() { $().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns({ relationshipList: "Topics", relationshipListParentColumn: "Department", relationshipListChildColumn: "Title", parentColumn: "Department", childColumn: "Folder", debug: true }); });</script> I receive the following error:

Error in function
SPSErvices.SPCascadeDropdowns
Parameter
relationshipListParent column: Title or
relationshipListChildColumn: Department

What am I missing? Thanks!
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Ryan:

It looks fine to me. I'm guessing that your lists aren't set up right somehow.

You're calling this in a third list's form page (NewForm or EditForm), right?
$(document).ready(function() {
  $().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns({
    relationshipList: "Topics",
    relationshipListParentColumn: "Department",
    relationshipListChildColumn: "Title",
    parentColumn: "Department",
    childColumn: "Folder",
    debug: true
  });
});
M.
Mar 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Correct I have it being called in the EditForm on a document library. What could I be messing up with on the List side?
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM
relationshipListParentColumn and relationshipListChildColumn have to be the StaticNames for the list columns. If you created your columns and renamed them, they may not have those StaticNames.

See the entry for StaticName here. http://spservices.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Glossary

M.
Mar 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM
That was it thanks a ton!
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2013 at 4:55 AM
Great!

M.
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Marc,

Thanks again for the help with getting the drop down to populate, now when I try to save after that I get an Error. An unexpected error has occurred. Troubleshoot link and the Correlation ID. Click go back to site and nothing has been saved (of course). Any idea?
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM
That usually happens if you try to save a value which isn't valid. In the list where you are trying to save the item, Department and Folder are both lookup columns as in the docs, right?

M.
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM
That worked. Didn't realize I needed to keep it as a Look Up and was trying to use it as a Choice Drop Down. My thought was I would like to double back the look up on a column that would help a user to populate the item by doing the look up or allow them to add their own value. Is something like that doable? Thanks again for your quick responses!