Migration to SharePoint 2013

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I'm new to SPServices and I'm using it to develop on SharePoint 2010. I'm using SPServices 0.7.2. My organization will be upgrading to SharePoint 2013 sometime in the future. What will I need to do (if anything) when the new SharePoint server is installed to keep using the SPServices library? Primarily I'm using GetListItems and Query operations.
Coordinator
Mar 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Edited Mar 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Unfortunately, the answer will have to be the dreaded "it depends".

The SOAP Web Services are still present in SharePoint 2013, though Microsoft has decided to deprecate them. What that will mean in reality is anyone's guess. There are lots of deprecated pieces of functionality (think sandbox) that would very difficult to remove.

The bigger question is around what you do with the results and such. The DOM in SharePoint 2013 has changed, just as it did from 2007 to 2010. If your code is nice and modular and you are using clean selectors, I would guess that you will have to re-test, perhaps adjust the code, and most likely adjust the CSS.

Keep in mind that many of the adjustments my be outside SPServices itself and just in your own jQuery / JavaScript and CSS.

Think this is a blog post in the making!

M.
Aug 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I keep reading great things about 2013's new integration with REST Services. While I HOPE that SPservices will continue to be a great tool for is in 2013, I think that it would be very helpful to create a CodePlex site or spinoff to document, provide examples, and discussions about 2013 REST services. From what people are saying there is a pretty solid movement to use front end technologies instead of back end Visual Studio for a variety of reasons. SharePoint seems to really be focusing on the Web Designer in the latest version and empowering them to customize sites and use SharePoint more like how WordPress is being used with child themes, plugins, and jQuery. Here is a great post of SharePoint and REST Services from Max Morrow TEXT