Unable to save form using GetListItems with SPServices

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I am using GetListItems to populate the choices/options in a dropdown column in one SP list (list: ABC / url: www.thisone.com) from a separate SP list (list:xyz / url: www.thatone.com). This is working fine; however, once I try to save the form using one of the options from list: ABC, I receive an error message in SharePoint. (This is a generic error which only supplies an ID that changes with each attempt, and is useless on the MSDN site to obtain help.) If I go back into the form and use the default choice/option that I set when I created the column, the form saves without any issues.

Useful info:
  • using SP2010
  • using $("dropdown column ID").append(some var data); to populate the dropdown column in list: ABC
  • unsuccessful using $("select[title='dropdown column title']").val("some value data"); to populate the value for the option in list: ABC
Mar 26, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Please post the code that populates the select fields.

_____
Paul

Sent from mobile device.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2013 at 4:09 AM
You can't add arbitrary values to a dropdown once the form page has loaded. The form digest will only aloow you to select values which existed when the page originally loaded.

Also, because you are adding options from a different Site Collection (as indicated by your URLs), the IDs for the options aren't necessarily going to match any current value IDs.

M.