This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

SPCascadeDropdowns now not saving the chosen values

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I apologise that I'm coming so late to this party - I've only just started using JQuery stuff.

I have installed the SPServices JQuery 0.1.7a version and the SPCascadeDropdowns script in a Content Editor WebPart on the New Item form - I have also inserted my a Custom New Item form using SPD as well (I have hidden the original New Item form).

The cascading columns on the New List item form are all set to be Single lines of text. I have set them all to be InDesign = 'true' as my Lookup fields have a lot more than 20 items in them.

It now seems that when a new item is created and the cascading fields are chosen, once the the new item is saved the values for the cascading fields are not saved - they are just null values.

Oddly, this is also the case for any Choice columns (such as Yes/No fields) in the same list.
Is there some setting that needs tweaking or changing to fix this?
Apr 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I'm not sure what's going on here. Since you mention that you've changed the InDesign value, you've customized the form at least a little. (You don't need to make that change, as SPServices can convert the drop down from a complex to a simple one by setting the simpleChild option in SPCascadeDropdowns.)

The Choice columns shouldn't have anything to do with SPCascadeDropdowns. If you remove the script do you see the same thing.

Can you post your code?

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Thanks for coming back so quickly.

Thanks for the tip about SimpleChild. I'll try all of your suggestions tomorrow and update the thread.
What code do you want to see - a limit of 1000 chars doesn't show enough of the code to spot any issues really
Apr 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM
All I'd like to see is your script in the CEWP. Should be plenty of room.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Here you go

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://sharepoint/sites/support/VMS/CLVClaims/JQuery/jquery.SPServices-0.7.1a.min.js"></script><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
{ $().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns(
relationshipList: "ProductType", //--Test 2 Cities
relationshipListParentColumn: "ProductFamily",//--Level1 Country from Test 2 List
relationshipListChildColumn: "Title", //--2nd Level Title Not the lookup field in Test 2 - internal name
relationshipListSortColumn: "Title", //--2nd Level Title internal name
parentColumn: "Product Family",//--Level 1 Country Name of Column in Cascade Test
childColumn: "Product Type",//--Level 2 City Name of Column in Cascade Test
debug: true
relationshipList: "ProductService",//--Test 3
relationshipListParentColumn: "ProductType",//--Level 2 internal name from Test 3 list (the lookup field in Test 2)
relationshipListChildColumn: "Title", //--Level 3 internal name in Test 3
relationshipListSortColumn: "Title", //--2nd Level Title internal name
parentColumn: "Product Type",//--Level 2 City
childColumn: "Product Service",//--Level 3 Hotel
debug: true

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Edited Apr 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Hi there,

I found the problem - the data binding references had gone all wonky in my New Form page, i.e. the 'id' references in SharePoint:FormField and SharePoint:FieldDescription had gone all out of sequence after I added in an extra field and moved some around. The CascadeDropdowns is now working perfectly and that SimpleChild works like a dream. Marvellous and thanks so much for your help!
Apr 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM