SPServices as a ListFilter

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM
How can I use SPServices to provide a cascade list view filter?

Vendor Name, Product, Sub Product
Vendor 1, Bread, Burger Buns
Vendor 2, Bread, Wraps
Vendor 3, Drinks, Soda
Vendor 4, Drinks, Soda
Vendor 5, Drinks, Tea

On list view , or page with the list view web part have two drop downs:
Drop Down 1 [Product] -> Drop Down 2 [Sub Product]

When drop down 1 is selected it filters the list view and limits drop down 2 to sub items of drop down 1's type.

Select Drinks from drop down 1. Drop down 2 allows choice of Soda and Tea. List view shows Vendor 3, 4, and 5.
Select Tea from drop down 2. List shows vendor 5 only.
Apr 15, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Have you looked at SPCascadeDropdown? You'll need to rearrange your data a bit (to normalize it), but you should be good to go.

However, it sounds like you want to do this on a view, not a form? SPCascadeDropdowns isn't built to work outside of forms, but the logic isn't that difficult to replicate with known dropdowns.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I did look at the SPCascadeDropdown, and yes we are trying to use this for a view so that is why I wasn't sure if it was possible or not.
Apr 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Ok, so the answer is "no". I tend to use a DVWP for something like what you describe or jQuery. SPCascadeDropdowns can work reliably on the forms because the structures, while overly complex, are predictable.

On a view, it's a bit more complex. and views can be changed by the user. In other words, something that is in column 1 today might be in column 9 tomorrow. It's very hard to generalize. If you've got the two dropdowns in the page and have a data source for each, you should be able to rig something up releatively easily using GetListItems. Since the dropdowns are in a view, you don't have to worry about the complex dropdowns that SharePoint sticks in the forms.